Welcome to the Sotiriou Lab, based in the Department of Microbiology, Tumor and Cell Biology at Karolinska Institutet. We are a research group with focus in Nanoparticle Engineering for Biomedicine.
Our mission is to develop materials, devices, tools and methods for medicine using engineering sciences. Our key focus is on flame aerosol engineering of smart nanoscale materials and devices investigating the parameters that influence their performance in theranostics.
Our approach is highly multidisciplinary combining expertise from material engineering, bioengineering and health sciences. This allows for the design of biomaterials that exhibit the desired functionality in applications ranging from diagnostics (biosensors) to therapeutic interventions.
We place specific emphasis in the fight against infections and antimicrobial resistance using innovative solutions with functional nanoscale materials.
We gratefully acknowledge our funding:
- Swedish Foundation for Strategic Research, Med-X Grant 2019.
- Torsten Söderberg Foundation, Medicine Grant 2018.
- Swedish Research Council (Vetenskapsrådet), Research Environment Grant 2018.
- Swedish Foundation for Strategic Research, Instrumentation Grant (with J. Widengren from KTH) 2018.
- Loo and Hans Osterman Foundation, Research Grant 2018.
- European Research Council, ERC Starting Grant 2017.
- Swedish Research Council (Vetenskapsrådet), Starting Grant 2016.
- Åke Wiberg Foundation, Grant for Medical Research, 2016.
- The Jeansson Foundations, Grant for Medical Research 2016.
- KI Foundation, Research Grants 2016-2018.
- Karolinska Institutet Board of Research Strategic Funding.